Here in New Zealand, it’s the time of the year where almost everyone has got a cold or a runny nose, but there is only so much that we can blame on the weather.
The best and most simple way to avoid the common winter cold, is to support your body from within and boost that immunity of yours!
Rather than having to treat a cough, cold, flu, or sore throat, let us share our top five health supplements that can help prevent you and your family from getting sick.
1. Bee Propolis: “Bee Glue”
The bees are onto something here! Propolis, commonly known as bee glue, is a substance produced by honeybees and is natures answer to strengthen and protect the beehive from diseases. Rich in bioflavonoids and offering powerful antioxidant properties, propolis is extremely effective in supporting the immune system and helps to protect our bodies from outside threats.
New Zealand Health Food offer propolis in softgel, and capsule form, this is a simple and convenient way to get your daily dose of propolis. Each softgel contains the equivalent of 500g of fresh bee propolis and the capsules contain 700mg fresh bee propolis per capsule.
Take 1-4 capsules daily in the morning with your breakfast.
2. Noni: “Traditional Polynesian Herbal Medicine”
Noni is a traditional Polynesian herbal medicine and native to Hawaiian cultures. It has been widely praised for its life-extending properties, including supporting immune functions, aiding digestive health, and promoting general well-being. Not only does Noni help the body, naturally boost the immune system naturally, but it may also help with:
- Promoting healthy skin.
- Supporting immune function.
- Reducing cholesterol.
- Supporting a good digestion function.
- General support to good metabolic health.
Take 2 capsules daily with your breakfast for a great boost to your health.
3. UMF 10+ Mānuka honey. “Not just any honey, it is super honey”
Honey has been much loved and used around the world for centuries, not only for its wonderful taste, but for its beneficial properties as well.
While it is common to see people adding it to their tea, using it for a quick energy boost during a race, or drizzled over a piece of toast, for many people this is an essential part of their first aid kit, to use on cuts and grazes.
Mānuka has powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. The indigenous Maori of New Zealand has used Mānuka honey together with spiderweb as wound care for centuries, it wasn’t until the late 1990’s that researchers to finally established these therapeutic properties including:
- The ability to protect against damage caused by bacteria.
- Assisting in triggering cellular repair responses.
- Acting as an anti-inflammatory to quickly ease pain and inflammation.
Many people consume a teaspoon of high strength Mānuka honey daily to naturally boost their immunity, overall health, and ward off allergies. The benefits of UMF® Mānuka honey are numerous.
Four scientifically proven Mānuka honey benefits that it helps the body to:
- Enhance overall oral health.
- Promote wound healing.
- Aid digestion.
- Soothe sore throats.
Take one teaspoon (10 g) per day.
4. UMF Mānuka honey + Propolis Drops. “Perfect for anyone who needs to refresh or has a nagging cough”
Manuka South Mānuka Honey Lemon Drops can be used daily for a dry mouth and throat, a nagging cough, or when you are feeling under the weather. Our pleasant mild menthol flavor with premium Mānuka honey and lemon oil is perfect to nourish irritated tissue of the mouth and airways.
With added Echinacea, our Mānuka honey lemon drops may help to mildly stimulate the immune system.
Each lozenge contains the natural goodness of New Zealand UMF 15+ Mānuka honey to soothe the throat and nose. Propolis is used in the formula offering powerful antioxidant properties, to support the immune system with premium flavonoid content.
Each Drop has a pleasant subtle taste without being overbearing. We’ve got two different flavours:
- Lemon & honey to help soothe a dry mouth and throat and a nagging cough
- Hot Menthol to help clear and soothe irritated or blocked airways.
Each drop is individually wrapped making this more convenient for you put some in your pocket, some in your carry on and even some in your handbag!
Trust us… once you have one, you will be left wanting more! Take as desired anytime, anywhere!
5. Propolis Throat Spray with UMF 15+ Mānuka honey. “Fight bacteria, infections, and viruses”
Using a dose of Manuka South® Propolis Throat Spray is quick and easy and can give instant relief for sore throats. It comes in a convenient spray bottle that you can throw in your purse or keep in your desk at work.
Propolis has numerous health benefits and contains antioxidants and flavonoids, providing the perfect combination for the human body to fight infections and stay strong. They work by attacking free radicals which may cause the body damage over time.
In addition to antioxidants and flavonoids, Manuka South® Propolis Throat Spray includes several other ingredients such as myrrh, aniseed, clove, and peppermint oils that provides further support.
The addition of UMF 15+ Mānuka honey helps soothe a sore throat. Imagine the power of honey in a convenient spray bottle, ready to go when you need it most.
Although Manuka South® Propolis Throat Spray is intended for the throat and oral health, using it can help with many other things such as:
- Keeping you healthy
- Supporting your immune system
- Fighting infection
- Preventing inflammation
- Fighting bacteria and viruses
Spray at back of throat twice daily or as directed by your health professional.
Look after your body during the colder months by:
- Ensure you are getting enough sleep. Did you know that our bodies are more likely to get sick if we are not getting enough rest.
- Move your body. Not only does moving your body (running, walking, walking the dog, dancing, taking the stairs, whatever it may be) help to boost your immunity, it will make you feel good too.
- Try to have a balanced diet. Maintaining a healthy diet is very important for your immune system.
- Relax. Ensure you are taking time for yourself, as stress suppresses your immune system.
- Increase your garlic consumption (the sulfuric compounds in garlic will help your body to ward off infections and viruses).