It is an incredible natural health supplement and an increasing number of people from around the world are becoming aware of the powerful medicinal properties of propolis, and how it can benefit your health when consumed regularly.
Firstly, what is propolis and how is it made?
Often referred to as bee glue. A natural, non-toxic, resinous and sticky substance that is produced by honeybees. Sounds interesting right! How do they do this? Through combining tree resin with digestive secretions, beeswax, and pollen. Propolis is extracted from the beehive using a special mesh that is placed inside the hive and collected in the summer months.
Propolis Protects and strengthens the beehive and fights off bacteria
Bees use propolis to protect and strengthen their hive. With this natural product, the hive is protected from rain and pests such as insects and rodents. Propolis maintains aseptic conditions and the appropriate temperature within the hive. It acts as a biocide that successfully fights bacteria, fungi and larvae of certain pests.
In order to eliminate the potential infection within the hive, the bodies of dead pests are covered with propolis and thus prevent their decomposition.
Why is propolis so powerful?
The powerful properties of propolis comes from the tree resin that makes up its bulk, plus essential oils and bioflavonoids . Resin is the trees natural protection against infection and parasites. When the bark of a tree is damaged, it oozes resin to seal the wound, and prevent fungi from entering. Trees also produce resin as a response to parasitic infection, as it can kill attacking insects and their larvae.
The digestive secretions produced by bees when they harvest the resin, further enhance these healing properties. They break down the chemical structure of the resin, that releases a high concentration of vitamins, minerals, and flavonoids, and make them more bioavailable to animals. The bees then combine the processed resin with beeswax and pollen to form propolis.
The exact makeup of propolis depends on the type of tree resin and flower pollen harvested by bees, and the time of year.
Propolis contains antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant properties.
Sounds too good to be true right?
What are the health benefits of propolis and how can it positively effect my body?
Propolis is high in vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin B1, B2, B6, C, E, and P, calcium, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and zinc. It also contains a high concentration of flavonoids, which contribute to beneficial amino acids and other compounds. For centuries, propolis has been used medicinally among different cultures, such as the Ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Chinese.
Because your gut makes up about 70% of your entire immune system, taking propolis every day over a long period of time, is a great way to help strengthen this!
Some of the benefits it offers when regularly consumed or used by humans include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties reduce inflammation throughout the body, improving overall health, and reducing the symptoms of chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, psoriasis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Its antiviral properties help the body to fend off and recover from viruses more quickly.
- The fungicidal properties prevent and help the body to heal from fungal infections such as candida albicans, which is the most common type of fungal infection.
- As an anti-parasitic, it can help the body to fight and recover from invasion by parasites.
- It can help wounds to heal and prevents infection and scarring.
- It’s a powerful antioxidant, helping to protect your body against the effects of free radicals, which are associated with ageing and many other health conditions.
- It supports and stimulates the immune system, raising the body’s natural resistance to bacteria and infections.
- Studies show that propolis can help prevent dental caries and control gingivitis and plaque. It reduces halitosis (bad breath) and symptoms of periodontosis.
- Not only is it good for boosting immune function but may also help to balance auto-immune dysfunction.
- A great skincare supplement. Due to its anti-inflammatory effects, this means its great for acne prone skin, and promotes faster wound healing. Which can help keep your skin looking clearer, younger and fresh!
How do I take propolis?
Here at Manuka South, we offer several different ways to take our propolis supplement, making this an option for almost everyone!
- Capsule-form: Swallowed whole with water, this absorbs quickly into the body.
- Softgels: Swallowed whole with water, this also absorbs quickly into the body. Some people find softgels slightly easier to swallow, and they are often more concentrated than normal capsules.
- Concentrated Extract: A liquid form that can be easily mixed with water or applied directly to the skin. Add 3-4 drops of half a glass of warm water before darling twice daily.
- Drops/Lozenges: A delicious round lozenge that can be taken anytime, anywhere! Individually wrapped making this easy to store in your desk draw, handbag or carry-on luggage.
- Throat Spray: Handy to keep in your purse or desk, can be sprayed directly at the back of the throat to help ward off colds, flu, and respiratory infections.
If you want to benefit from the health advantages of propolis daily, consuming it in the form of capsules or softgels is the most convenient way to do so. These supplements contain propolis in varying concentrations so that you can tailor your intake to your personal needs.
The strongest propolis product on the market
Smaller doses are suitable for those who want to boost and support their overall health in the long-term, while more concentrated supplements like our Manuka South Black Reserve Propolis can be used to target specific health problems.
The highest antimicrobial bee products we have on offer
Propolis is the bee product with the highest antimicrobial activity. What does this mean? Antimicrobial activity refers to the process of killing or inhibiting the disease-causing microbes. This activity has been confirmed by numerous scientific studies. All examined types of propolis revealed a strong antibacterial activity.
With the increase of antibiotic resistance in the last few years, there is a considerable interest by hospitals in propolis as an antibacterial agent. It has been shown that propolis has synergistic effects with antibiotic action against bacteria.
Propolis – one of nature’s richest source of bioflavonoids
Bee Propolis is considered one of nature’s richest sources of bioflavonoids. Bioflavonoids (also known as ‘Flavonoids’) naturally occur in pretty much all fruits and vegetables, they’re also found in chocolate and red wine….
The flavonoid content is the most important marker on a label, as this denotes the potency of the propolis per capsule. Here’s ours below:
- Propolis Soft Gels 500mg: Have a flavonoid content of 24.
- Propolis Capsules 700mg: Have a flavonoid content of 40
- Extra Strength Propolis Soft Gels: Have a flavonoid content of 48.
- Propolis Extract: Have a flavonoid content of 33.
- Black Reserve Propolis Soft Gels: Have a flavonoid content of 72. This superior strength means you only need to take one capsules daily – making it perfect for people who don’t enjoy taking too many pills!
Fast relief propolis products
Convenience is key! Whether it’s because you are always on the go, travelling or just after a quick relief from painful niggly ills and chills. Our propolis range has a number of smaller products with powerful formulas for that fast relief. These also come in convenient sizes, making these great for people on the go, travelling, and to store in your handbag or desk.
Propolis Extract – Fight sore throats and more!
- Propolis Extract The perfect liquid solution for immediate relief from several aliments. This can be used daily to help promote dental hygiene and protect the mouth against things like gum disease and dental caries. Our propolis extract is a versatile product and can also be applied topically to skin to treat ailments such as cold sores, shingles, warts and slow healing wounds.
Propolis Throat Spray with added UMF 15+ Mānuka Honey
- Propolis Throat Spray
Designed to deliver the health boosting benefits of propolis and UMF 15+ Mānuka Honey. Designed to directly target effected tissues in the throat, this allows for immediate relief and faster recovery of a sore / irritated throat. The blend of aniseed, peppermint and clove oil act to soothe irritated tissue as well as reduce pain
Fight a sore throat with our UMF 15+ Mānuka Honey & Propolis throat lozenges
- Propolis Lozenges (commonly known as Mānuka Candy)
Our Mānuka Honey drops have a powerful propolis-based formula and is a great daily-use product to reliever a sore throat, a nagging cough, or when you’re feeling under the weather. Each lozenge contains the natural goodness of New Zealand UMF 15+ Mānuka honey to soothe the throat and nose.
Our drops come in two popular flavours:
– Lemon Honey: our most popular lozenge! These are packed with premium Mānuka honey, natural lemon oil, propolis, echinacea and a soothing mild menthol.
– Hot Menthol: A pleasantly tasting everyday lozenge with the added bonus of zinc, menthol and propolis.
To view our full range of Manuka South Propolis products, click here!